With trends coming and going like leaves in a tornado, it can be easy to overlook some very important additions to your closet: the building blocks. These are the pieces that you will keep for years and end up wearing over and over again – the bones of your wardrobe. These pieces should be great quality that will last a long time, and in the long-run they are definitely worth dropping a bit of cash on. The key here is focusing on which items you invest your limited budget in.
Now, I’m not saying that you should funnel all your money into these pieces (especially since they tend to be a good deal pricier than most things you’re probably used to buying), but I am saying that you can build a list of closet staples you need and work toward them. Maybe it’s just me, but I would rather skip buying those three pairs of trendy earrings at Forever 21 if it means that I can save up to purchase a gorgeous cashmere sweater.
Now, there are many lists on the internet and in books of what constitutes a closet necessity, so I’m going to list some of the top contenders below:
- Cashmere sweaters : They’re soft, cuddly and oh so opulent
- Great fitting jeans : Because you will want to wear them every. single. day.
- Men’s white button down shirt : For channeling a variety of personas from Tom Cruise to Jackie O
- Little black dress : There’s a reason it’s so iconic
- Ballet flats : Perfect for a girl on the go
- A fabulous handbag (or two) : Because a fabulous woman needs a fabulous bag (or two… or three… or four…)
- A classic heel : Goes with everything
A picture’s worth a thousand words, so here are some of the better closet-building guides I’ve found so far (Real Girl Glam had a great four part series that is being turned into an ebook – be on the lookout!):
What are some of your favorite closet staples?